Westwood Christian School will begin the new school year on August 24, 2020. Based on the circumstances of our students and their families and the recommendations of the CDC, we are presenting three learning plans for the 2020-2021 school year.
Plan 1: On-Campus Learning
1. Students and teachers will be on campus in their classrooms
2. School will follow a regular 5-day week with regular school hours
8:00 AM - 2:45 PM (Preschool and Elementary)
7:50 AM - 2:30 PM (Middle and High School)
3. We will focus on maintaining a safe campus following the protocols detailed in our Enhanced Health/Safety document released on July 1, 2020. These guidelines will be updated as needed, following the recommendations of CDC and local officials.
4. Classes will have fewer students
5. Hallway traffic will be minimized
6. Students who need to quarantine for COVID-19 related situations will participate with their classes from home for the CDC recommended time period. Students will follow the Hybrid Learning Option guidelines while under quarantine.
Plan 2: Hybrid Learning Option
Hybrid Learning is designed for a remote learning environment for students with existing health conditions or for families who may not be comfortable sending their children to school because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hybrid Learning will help students maintain a connection with classmates and teachers while at home. While Hybrid Learning is not identical to on-campus learning, Westwood Christian School faculty and staff will provide high quality instruction in order to address the academic, emotional, and social needs of students until they are able to return to a traditional classroom setting. All students in the Hybrid Learning Program are considered full-time Westwood Christian School students and will have the ability - with notice and clearance - to return to in classroom instruction.
1. Students will participate from home with synchronous classroom instruction being delivered through video-conferencing technology
2. Each classroom will have a daily schedule of instruction, and students participating in Hybrid Learning will follow that same schedule at home
3. Students will be responsible to submit all assignments on time as if they were in the regular classroom
4. Live streamed lessons will include the core subjects of instruction as well as electives and fine arts (whenever possible)
5. Teachers will monitor students’ progress through video conferencing
6. To ensure the success of the Hybrid Learning Program, all students will need parental support
7. The Hybrid Learning Program may look different in each grade level/division
8. Parents wishing for more information about the Hybrid Learning Program should contact the school office.
9. The Hybrid Learning Program will remain in place as long as COVID-19 continues to be a concern as determined by local officials and the Westwood Christian School Administration.
10. Your decision to enroll your student(s) in this plan must be made in writing on or before July 31, 2020. There will be a grace period until September 8, 2020 to switch back to plan 1, should you desire to do so. After September 8, changes will only be permitted at the beginning of each month. For information, please contact us.
Plan 3: Complete Online Remote Learning Platform
Should local, state or federal governments choose to close school buildings, Westwood Christian School will shift to a complete online remote learning model. The classes will be enhanced to mirror our traditional classroom setting.
1. The technology platform used by the hybrid program will be used school-wide
2. The Learning Management System used from the beginning of the school year will continue to be used, ensuring a seamless transition for students and parents
3. Teachers will include the components of the traditional school day and will intentionally enhance instruction with additional resources, both teacher-created activities and online activities
4. Students will remain at home, and classroom instruction will be delivered remotely until buildings are able to reopen
Open a printer-friendly version: